Tuesday, April 14, 2009

What's In A Name?

It's quite possibly the most permanent thing you can give someone.

And in this case, we're not just talking about someone.  We're talking about my firstborn child.  My sweet baby BOY.  My little monkey bambino.  (It's amazing what you don't feel embarrassed to call the sweet little munchkin growing inside of you.)

And for months now Daddy Perks and I have deliberated over what would be the sweetest, coolest, smartest, wittiest, most innocent, most mischievous, most memorable, most impressionable, most lovable NAME possible for our little one. 

If you know us at all, then you know we've been extremely TIGHT-LIPPED about our name choices up to this point.  We know how opinionated people tend to be about names and we decided that since we'll be responsible for this human for roughly the next two decades, we feel entitled to name him whatever we want.  And we wanted to do so without the guilt or disappointment of knowing that you grew up with a kid named ________ and they had huge nostrils and bad acne.  Or that you went to summer camp with a girl named ________ and she was such a b*%$h.  Or that you work with a ______ and they are such a slacker.  WE DON'T CARE.  If you think I'm being harsh...please know that you'd be shocked to know just how open people are about names they love, hate and wouldn't be caught dead naming their child.  

And believe me, working in a school makes selecting a name for your child NO EASY TASK.  Names that you dreamed of as a little girl...lists you made of your top 5 girl names and your top 5 boy names...all of these go to hell once you become a teacher.  Suddenly that sweet little _____ that you thought would make the perfect name for a little girl reminds you of the spoiled little princess who's main form of communication is a high pitched whine.  And forget about naming your sweet little boy ______ because now all you can think of is that little pistol who has an inability to stay in his seat, sharpens his pencil 17 million times a day, and must pick his nose for a living.

Sigh.  Ok, I'm done venting and trying to paint the picture for the trials and tribulations new parents go through to settle on a name for their impending newborn.  With that being said...let me introduce my sweet baby boy to the online world...

 

Henry Isaac.

 

We LOVE the name Henry.  We think it's cute, classic and quite frankly...I can just picture a sweet little blonde troublemaker named Henry running around the Perks household turning our world upside down.

As for the middle name: Isaac...we chose it also because we love the way it sounds, but also because of the meaning behind it.  Isaac actually means "full of laughter."  Now, if you know Mommy and Daddy Perks at all-then you know how much we love to laugh and make others laugh.  We also hope our little one's life is always full of laughter.

SO, there you have it.  I can now start calling Baby Perks by his more official name.  It's crazy to think that Henry will be here in just over 4 months...YIKES.

Speaking of our little HIPster (yes our little one's initials our HIP)...he's kicking as we speak and I think it's his way of politely reminding Mommy that it's time to get back to work!

6 comments:

Cait said...

You are so right about how opinionated people can get about the names of other peoples children! I like your tight-lipped style!!! Can't wait to meet Baby Henry!

Claire Kelley said...

So cute! He'll have to read all the Henry and Mudge books!

Catav said...

Can't wait to meet baby Henry!!! Love & Squeezes!

Abby said...

So super cute! And I agree, whole-heartedly, about the being a teacher and naming kids bit. So frustrating!

Bari said...

The bit about teachers is so true! Since my parents were both teachers, that's how I ended up as "Bari". I'm looking forward to meeting my new cousin! Hope to see you all soon.

Walker Webb said...

Can't wait to meet you, HIP. I think your name is cool - historical sounding. Classic. Catchy. And oh so cool. Walker + Henry = BFF (my mom wrote that last part, I would never type anything so cheesy)