Thursday, February 19, 2009

Life is indeed more full of PERKS these days...

...literally and figuratively speaking.  How you ask?  Well, those of you who know my name understand that literally-a mere 6 months from now my husband and I will actually welcome another perk into the world.  I'm of course referring to the 3 1/2-inch munchkin that has currently taken up residence in my uterus.  So yes world, I'm going to become a Mommy in August.  But if I'm being honest though, I already very much feel like a Mommy.  I felt that way when I first saw those two pink lines on that little stick and my heart was racing a mile a minute.  I felt that way when I told my husband he was going to be a Daddy and the smile he had on his face mirrored the expression I saw in the bathroom when I looked at my very first positive pregnancy test.  I felt that way on Christmas morning when we told our mothers they were going to have their first grandchild.    And I most certainly felt like a mommy when I spent six weeks during the first trimester singing my brains out to the porcelain gods.  Let me tell you, there is nothing pretty about the "puke 'n go" lifestyle I was living during that blissful chapter of maternity so appropriately entitled "morning sickness."  I spent many a days fully dressed, make-up done, on my way out the door, when I'd have to conveniently make a pit stop at the bathroom to "morning-sick-myself" through spouts of nausea.  But if surviving morning sickness is any indicatication of how I'll size up as a mommy...then I'll go ahead and suit up for what is sure to be the biggest game I ever play in.

So back to the perk(s)...Well-as I thesaurus the word "perk" I have something to confess.  I was an english major in college, and despite the cringing my professors would have done had they known how often I used and abused the "right click, scroll down to the thesaurus option to see what other words might sound cooler/better than the one I came up with" method of writing, I still always have Microsoft Word pulled up when I write for this very purpose.)

So "perk" according to Microsoft Word 2007's version of thesaurus, can also be referred to as a bonus, perquisite, plus side, benefit, advantage, or an extra.  These all seem to be appropriate references for your impending firstborn right?  Well, if you don't agree, or you're not pregnant...then humor me for a moment and imagine a life without any perks.  A life without driving in the car and having your favorite song come on the radio.  A life where you didn't occasionally walk into Chipotle  with a killer burrito bowl craving and seeing that there was no wait.  A life without snowdays.  (I live in Ohio and I'm a teacher.)  A life without marathon re-runs of your favorite TV show.  A life without paydays.  A life without 3-hour gab sessions with your girlfriends, or Monday night football with your best boys and a hot pizza. You catch my drift.  Look, all I'm saying is that we can all probably step back from the chaos that consumes our days and appreciate the little things.  Those moments where you can't do anything but laugh.  We're all blessed to have them, it's just a matter of perspective.  In a time where our society is often consumed by gas prices and job security, we all need a good laugh every now and again everyday.  Just one moment to remind us that life's not so bad.  In fact I've been having a lot of those moments lately...and I can't wait to share them with you.

8 comments:

Caitlin Kelly said...

This is such a great beginning!! I look forward to hearing about the many more "perks" to come!!

Kristin Brown said...

Yay! I am so excited for you two and can't wait to hear all about your journey! You are a great blogger, so fun to read! XOXO Momma!

Lisa Williams said...

Shubs,

It was so much fun reading this first entry. You are so witty! Reading this blog is a little "perk" in my day today. I look forward to having many more! Love you.

XXXOOO

Erin Eggers said...

Finally...it has come. Excited to add this to my list of websites to check for the day...so now i have gmail, facebook, life is full of perks and the weather channel/site. love you!

abs said...

i agree erin... i am in the process of adding it to my favorite sites! such a great post, i felt like i was starting a new novel!

Rachie said...

My life is finally complete. I can stalk Mrs. Perkins:). Your wonderful, witty personality shines through your writing. Can't wait to read more from my perky friend. Love you!!!!!!

Jaime said...

Love you! and loooovveee this! So fun!

Catav said...

Shubs,

I agree with everyone else when I say I am so happy to add this to my daily blog checking!!! It is such a great way to keep up with friends when we don't live next door to each other anymore!!! I can't wait to read more as your first blog was so witty and fun! Love you lady!