Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Pregnancy Soapbox...

The following verbal exchange took place between myself and another female individual 2 days ago.

"Wow, I still can't believe you're pregnant!  You're going to be such a great mom.  How far along did you say you were?"

"14 weeks."

Staring down at my mid-section wide-eyed she retorts... "Oh really?!?  Wow, I would have guessed that you were WAY further along."  

 

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!  Are you kidding me?  Not even because I highly value this person's opinion, but more so because she has been through a couple of pregnancies herself and should know better.  Seriously-who says that to a "first time mommy-who's just recently popped a belly-and may or may not still be sensitively adjusting to the newest addition to her figure?!?"  

That's all.  Phew, I feel better.

All you current/future mommies out there...feel free to leave a comment about similar things that have been said to you that have...how do I phrase this nicely..."rubbed you the wrong way."  You might also leave your advice on how I can properly and non-violently respond to future verbal exchanges of this nature that may take place over the next 26 weeks.  OR, if you're feeling extra witty, feel free to leave your thoughts on a saucy comeback I might use the next time around.

3 comments:

Jaime Burke said...

Ssoooo if one more woman at work stops me and says "Whoa! Is that baby gonna pop out right here in front of me?!" or "Holy Crap you're huge!" or "There's no way you are making it to your due date!" I think I might explode!!! My suggested comeback - punch them in the face! Just do it! I mean seriously, that's my new plan.

Ang said...

Shubs...sista...friend! Until you can't bend over and tie your shoes, you have all the bragging rights possible! That chick is just jealous cause you're smokin' hot, can still wear pink pumps and your nipples aren't lactating (yet!). Rock that belly sista! And as for future remarks...just say you're having octuplets like that one crazy chick all over the news 8-)

Kate said...

I know this was posted a long time ago but I just had to comment! I started showing really early and this is my first. My tummy look just like that and I am 14 weeks right now too! I can't believe that woman said that.... actually I can.... its been said to me a few times too!!! Everybody is different!