Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Baby vs. Clean House

Point goes to Baby.

Some serious cleaning had to be done in the Perks household last week.

We're talking about the fruit-flies-were-landing-on-the-toothpaste-caked-to-our-bathroom-sink kind of cleaning.

And I'm not even to ashamed to admit this to the whole internet world.  Gosh it feels good to air out our dirty laundry-even if I lose the respect of a few of my readers for what has been a lack of attention to the cleanliness of our home.  Some of you may be shocked, even appalled that I might let my house reach this state.  However-those of you who know me, were my roommates with me in college, or have spent any amount of time with me-you know that I don't get my jollies from cleaning.

I am certainly not that housewife who relishes in a good scrub session with the shower.  Even after all the cleaning has been done, I don't have that extra hitch in my giddy-up as many women do as they gaze at their squeaky clean home.  I despise every part of the process. And let me tell you-if a newborn baby doesn't give you a justifiable reason to put the cleaning on the back burner, then I don't know what does.

It's true.  Cleaning certainly takes a backseat on the "To-Do" list when one is lending their anatomical parts to aid in the feeding of a six week-old.  Now-by no means am I complaining about breastfeeding.  At all.  In fact, I love nursing.  I feel an incredible bond with Henry when I feed him, and I love knowing that I am able to help build up his immune system and give him the best possible diet as he grows into a strapping young lad.  But some times you can't help but feel as if your life is operating on 2-3 hour increments when your little man eats the way mine does.  This new schedule I've been adjusting to over the past 6 weeks has certainly taken it's toll on the toilets and the floors in the Perks Household.

And when certain feedings take up to a half hour, it seems like you've barely finished burping your sweet precious when he starts to make that noise again...you know the cry/fuss/grunt that says  "Mom-take off your shirt and feed me.  And PS...I don't care if you're in the middle of a love affair with the scrubbing bubbles and your master bath."

What's the point of me "airing out my dirty laundry" to the online world?  No point really.  Well-ok...maybe I'm hoping that Daddy Perks will read this and rush home from work later to unload the dishwasher, scrub the toilets, wash the floors, windex the mirrors, etc.  Or maybe I'm dreaming that I'll go into Henry's nursery in the morning and all of his stuffed monkeys will have come to life, and they'll all be lined up wearing rubber gloves ready to be put to work.   A far stretch?  Perhaps.

Meanwhile...when he's not cashing in on the free 24-hour milk bar keeping his mama from her cleaning duties...he's pretty busy being cute...

Henry 329


The eyelashes will get you every time.

4 comments:

Jaime said...

I love you. That's all.

Rachel said...

BBBBhahahahahaha. I laughed out loud on this one. Esp the part about the monkeys with the rubber gloves. Classic. Please send them down south to my house when they're finished in C-Bus.

Abby said...

Girl, let me just tell you that the minute I sign a full-time contract (or we land a windfall) I will hire someone to do our laundry - and I am being VERY serious.

Kudos to you for letting the house only build up 6 weeks of grime...I think we're on 15 months ;)

Tiff said...

I'm still caught up on the fact that you and Henry's nursing sessions can "take up to 30 minutes"... That's a short session for me! Of course, Tucker and I are still working on it, it's only been a week....

As for the house cleaning, yeah, first thing to go! Those toilets aren't going anywhere! But, I'm completely with Rach. If those monkeys show up, they BETTER stop at the Keene household while in town!