Monday, October 26, 2009

The Buggy Has Landed.

Well-we made it.

I somehow managed to get myself, my 8 week-old, one stroller, one carseat, one diaper bag, AND my carry-on suitcase from Columbus, Ohio to Ft. Myers, Florida.  Take that AirTran!  You won't find this mama paying $15 just to check a suitcase. 

So yes-I was that Mom heaving obnoxious amounts of baggage through the terminal when I could have checked my suitcase and made my load considerably lighter.  But why make life easier right? 

It is true what they say-travelling with a baby is quite the ordeal.  Long gone are the days when I'd have enough time before my flight to grab a drink from Starbucks and peruse the latest US Weekly before boarding the plane.  After yesterday's airport experience, I've realized that travelling with a baby is an invitation to continually re-encact that infamous airport scene from the movie Home Alone. 

And I did have a mini panic attack as we stood in line to get through security.  God forbid they let a brand new mommy off the hook.  Oh no.  I was forced to take my sleeping baby out of his carseat and stroller and put those on the conveyor belt to be scanned along with my 7 million other bags.  And  as I walked under the metal detector, Henry in my arms, the security man also asked me to hold my baby away from me so that he could wave his fancy little wand over my chest and stomach.  I assured him there were no weapons under my shirt-just my son's breakfast. 

When I looked back to start grabbing my bags off the conveyor belt, there was was Henry's little pacifyer making it's way down the line all by itself, nipple touching that nasty surface where millions of people put their hands and belongings every single day.  It was as if that germ-infested nipple was laughing in my face saying..."and you thought this would be easy."

And of course as we boarded the plane, luck would have it that our seats were in the second-to-last row.  So as I strolled down the aisle, I saw the looks of panic ensue from my fellow passengers as they looked at me, then at my baby, and thought to themselves-"well-guess we won't be sleeping on this flight."  And gosh it felt good to prove them wrong.  In true Henry fashion, my little one didn't make a peep the entire flight.  He slept soundly in my arms and I praised the airplane gods for taking pity on me.

Since we've got a computer down here, I'll be posting everyday about our vacation adventures.  Meanwhile-Henry just went down for a nap, and the sun is calling my name :)

4 comments:

Rach said...

You always make me laugh. Thank you. I love you.

mamahiggins said...

Your blog makes my day! Just starting my second trimester, you give me all sorts of wonderful things to look forward to and laugh about. :] Thanks for the pick-me-up on a stressful day....and congratulations on that little man! He is too cute for words!

abs said...

oh geez... that gave molly and i a good laugh!! i needed that on a Monday evening! but i am so happy that he was an angel on the plane. glad you made it in one piece :)

Tiff said...

Way to go Henry and Momma Perks! Hope you enjoy your trip! Soak up some rays for me! I'll be praying that your trip back is just as successful!